Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Eventful week in the neighborhood

To bring the blog up to speed on the week here, I saw Laura (one of our neighbor girls) with her friends in town on the way to school yesterday. I saw Laura's dad out on the balcony, smoking, whilst I was walking home from dropping the kids off at school. I smiled and nodded, he did too. This was like 8:30am. Then like 10ish I was out washing the front door, and I saw that there was a Gemeinde Nussloch car in front of my house, a Polizei in front of the house immediately next to ours, and an ambulance behind that. No lights. No sirens. The workers were just standing on the sidewalk chatting like they'd been there awhile. I couldn't figure out which house they were dealing with since no one was moving.

Since then there has been lots of people visiting. I figured either it was a false alarm, or someone died since there was no rush to do anything. Well, this morning I saw the mom holding the baby on the balcony and talking to someone while crying. Hmmmm... Then later this morning I saw a van with the word Bestattungen on it. Well.... someone did die, and I'm assuming it was Laura's dad. But just my reason of deduction- the only other alternative would be that one of their parents were visiting and died. Inquiring minds want to know! But they speak no English, and my German is virtually non-existant, so perhaps I will never know what happened. But I will hopefully find out one way or another WHO it happened to.

Today I also finally met our American neighbors 2 doors down. They are moving. Yup. Today is their last day in the house, and then they fly out on December 1st. She is super nice and from Alabama, with a sweetheart accent. They apparently moved here the same time as us. Kinda strange that we should actually meet now.

No comments: