Sunday, December 9, 2007

Can you believe that today is the 10th anniversary of Dustan proposing to me? Yup, it truly is.

Being from Battle Creek, the world's Cereal City, and known for its' Festival of Lights, we had planned a romantic evening out, walking thru town to see Christmastime aglow along the streets. We walked along the pathways, sighting the 12 days of Christmas theme and the other displays trailing the beautiful river. We crossed over and continued our walk down towards the waterfall made of lights. Here we paused and talked a moment. It was very lightly snowing, and it was a calm, quiet evening. We seemed to suddenly find ourselves alone, all other passersby had vanished momentarily. Dustan seemed nervous. He kept fidgeting with his hands in his pockets.

I was supicious of the very thing he was about to ask me. What surprised me though, was that after he lamely suggested we sit on the freezing cold, metal bench, he quickly stood again, and then got down on one knee. He then asked me a question in Norweigian. It sounded a bit odd, a bit familiar, and so romantic.

He, in earnest, had taken an extra step to show that he had a sense of what I was all about- family, history, being together, being understood. I just watched his face. All the emotion there, each passing briefly, intensely again and again across his face. He had really worked himself into a frenzy. But I could see the vulnerability, the openness, love, and desire; the quest to earn my affections in return. He then asked me the same question, but in English this time around. Will you marry me?

After seeing the sincerity in his eyes, I paused long enough to make him nervous. I also reflected on the rapid, recent events of the previous season, and I in no doubt wanted to be his wife. And so, I finally looked at the ring he was offering. It was simple and beautiful, a single, oval diamond set just lovely. On a pedastal, and needing nothing else to show that only one love will suffice, and none could be more beautiful.

Obviously, I said yes to him, and we were so excited. Passersby again began to stride by, and they were happy to be witnesses to the end of the event. We decided we would announce the engagement the next day. For the rest of the evening we just enjoyed the newness of our decision and talked through the night.

No comments: